Lisdeen Catholic Church

The now demolished Lisdeen Church
John Williams
Picture taken from West End,Kilkee shows Lisdeen Church in top left hand corner.
John Williams
The.new church , St Flannins, Lisdeen
Curtesy of Kilkee Parish
Shows site of the old Lisdeen Church which was well off the main road on left side as you leave Kilkee. As you can see from map a small community had houses all of which are.now gone.
Curtesy of Heritage Maps
Site of old Lisdeen church

The old church in Lisdeen, about 3km from the town of Kilkee, was reputed to be the oldest Roman Catholic Church in the Diocese of Killaloe until it was demolished in 1964 to be replaced by a new one at Gurraun on the Kilkee-Kilrush road.

Records indicate the presence of a chapel at Lisdeen as early as 1760, which was the parish church of Kilferagh until the construction of Michael Comyn’s church in Kilkee in 1831. Up until 1831 there was no Catholic Church in Kilkee as the town of Kilkee was a recent development going from two houses in 1800 to hundreds by 1831. At some time between 1806 and 1810 another church was built there, a small cruciform structure , whose roof was made of pointed flagstones. It was demolished in 1963 after the present St. Flannan’s Church, the second church in the parish, was built at Garraun.

St. Flannan’s is a small church of simple design, built to accommodate 240 persons. Altar, seating and other furnishings were transferred to it from the old church at Kilkee. The churches at Kilkee and Garraun , both in the same parish of Kilferagh, were  dedicated on the same day in July 1963 by Bishop Joseph Rodgers. It was built by a contractor from Killaloe called Thomas Hayes. It was designed by John Thompson of Limerick.

On Dec 18th 2011 a stained glass window depicting St. Flannan was dedicated by Bishop Kieran O’ Reilly. This window, which is in the Sanctuary area of the Church, was originally housed in Kilkee Church.

To mark the 50th Anniversary of the construction and dedication of the two parish Chruches at Lisdeen and Kilkee a Remembrance Prayer Room was desigend and opened in the former Mortuary Chapel area of Kilkee Church on Easter Sunday, 31st March 2013.

The photos show the old church before it was knocked down. The second is taken from the West End ,Kilkee , hence the poor quality, and the church can be seen in the distance in the top left-hand corner. The third photo is the new church as it is today.The forth photo shows the site of the old Lisdeen Church which was moved when rebuilt to the main road from Kilkee to Kilrush. It also moved from the town-land of Lisdeen to the town-land of Garraun.

 

 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this